HowdyYAL

Howdy YAL!

Get the Vote On

Stone Cold Touch - Jennifer L. Armentrout

And I’m back from Blogger Blackout.  Well, I was here.  Just prolonging posting these reviews.  To be honest, I sort of needed a calm week emotionally.  And I think it was good to take a quasi break from the blogging world.  As for this review, I think the actual voting process is over (it was originally going to be posted last Sunday), but I still kept the title only because I couldn’t think of a better title and maybe some uninformed voter will actually think that they’re voting for a hot gargoyle and demon on election day.

And while I can understand how they think some politicians are the devil…I don’t see how they could think they’re hot.  But whatever.

Dear lord I needed this.

When I read this book it was a  horrible week for the blogging world and for me on a personal level as well.  Luckily, I had this book.  Okay, I’ll admit it had some of the typical YA cliches that if I’m going to be more critical I would totally call them out, but there’s some days I need cliche. And when Armentrout is on (and boy is she on in this series) she can write them to be quite enjoyable.

But yeah, I’ll be the first to admit this series is kind of like fast food good at the time and sometimes needed, but it’s not exactly something you’d want to read everyday.

And it doesn’t help that Layla can be really annoying at times.

Though, I tend to ignore this since the side characters and plot more than make up for it.  Honestly, this series reminds me of the days when the CW was the WB and shows like Charmed and Buffy were on the air.  Though Layla, is nowhere near as awesome as Buffy-just saying.

Though points to her and her friends for making a Buffy reference.

I think what I liked about this book was the twist and turns that the triangle made it.

Yes, you’re hearing that.  I ,MJ, cranky pants of cranky pants, actually like a cliche trope such as a love triangle.

Well, it wasn’t the triangle part so much than the character development for one of the guys in this book.

I have to say I was impressed with the big turn around that Armentrout did on my head in this book.  After the first book, I was Team Roth mainly because there was so much more development with the character in White Hot Kiss, but in Stone Cold Touch Armentrout does a 180 and develops Zayne.  And she didn’t even (excuse the pun) demonize Roth that much to do it.

You just got to see another side of the character.  The less appealing side.  Same could be said about the Zayne character in the previous book-though I think the trope of the unreliable narrator is used quite efficiently here.

So, in the end it wasn’t so much the romance I cared about but the character development.  Odd as it sounds.

However, it wasn’t the pining for either guy that kept me intrigued in the book.  It was that it actually had a relatively interesting plot.

That’s the thing about Armentrout books, I never read them just for the romance.  If they focus just on the romance the book and I probably arent’ going to get along (see her New Adult titles).  But her YA paranormals and contemporaries I usually like them a lot if they’re more plot heavy.  And Stone Cold Touch is.  Plot heavy that is. Well, plot heavy for Amentrout.

While the gargoyle mythology still hasn’t gone into the depth I’d like, I did like how Armentrout dived more into the demonic activity that occurred in the book.  So, that’s a plus.

But again, the plot isn’t that heavy.  Just like an episode of Charmed it’s mostly inconsequential but makes way for some fast pace and fun action sequences.

So, who did I end up voting for?

Well, I’m not telling.  But I did end up making a decision after reading it and it made more of an impact on me than any of the midterm election stuff (which is sad, because I should be concern in voting in an election that actually means something but since I live in a blood red state…)

Okay, I’m digressing.

Overall Rating: Borderline B+ it’s a fun book.  But I have to be in the right mood for it.  Overall, I think The Dark Elements series is one of Armentrout’s strongest.

Source: http://howdyyal.wordpress.com/2014/11/02/get-the-vote-on-stone-cold-touch-by-jennifer-l-armentrout