HowdyYAL

Howdy YAL!

The Post in Which I Talk About Procrastinating During NaNoWriMo

Because I have a death wish and am in between jobs right now I’m participating in NaNoWriMo.  If you want you can add me.  I really am not much on the site just to update my sad word count.  But hey, if you want to buddy up I’ll buddy up with you.

It gives me flashbacks to the days of studying for the bar.  I wasn’t exactly a nice person then.  I ended up house sitting in the middle of nowhere because I couldn’t stand anyone and they couldn’t stand me either.  I thought today I’d give you tips on how to at least enjoy failing or maybe succeeding at procrastinating during NaNoWriMo.

1) Just Write: Last year I tried this approach and ended up with three paragraphs about cheese (I was hungry). A rant about how I wish I could press the mute button on my dog.  And a quasi decent page of something that I threw into my maybe one day pile.  To me at least I have to have a plan.  This year, I have a story I have a loose outline for and I’ve written about three or four drafts to the first five chapters already.  So I sort of know where I’m going.  It’s not fail proof, but at least I’m not writing about cheese.

2) Look at Old Drafts: Apparently, I used to write a lot of Mediator fan fiction of the Paul Slater persuasion and I sort of forgot about it.  Honestly though, for me looking at old drafts can spark ideas.  Though I really think all I got looking out of these old fan fics was that I’m glad I didn’t post some of these on the internet.  Because…wow….just wow they were bad.

3)Eat Candy: Oh, yes the requisite candy break (blame old Halloween candy).  Nothing better than getting over the top hyper and not writing anything decent because of candy.  I prefer to binge on Nerds by the way.  Though Smarties make an excellent substitute.

4) Make Your Playlist:  I actually have three playlists for the cheese list.  To be honest, the more writers block I get the more likely I’m going to come up with a decent playlist.  If I’m actually being productive the same album is probably on repeat and I’m not really listening to it.

5) Research Insignificant Things: Oh yeah, if your unsure about some random insignificant thing-say can you drive all the way from Canada to South America-Google it.  You’ll probably find a blog or something that will totally waste your time about some random people driving their car all the way to the tip of South America.

6) Write Random Insignificant Blog Posts: Like this.

7) Write long Scenes Then Realize You Have a Big Plot Hole: This has already happened to me twice.  I mourn those three thousand words. While this is probably one of the least enjoyable things on this list.  It gives you a welcome break time.  I suggest chocolate or for the over twenty-one crowd wine.

8) You Go On Twitter To Complain: And then end up chatting with your friends for an hour about how much this whole thing sucks.  And then you find out they have like thousands upon thousands of words on you and you decide its time for a Twinkie.  Because Twinkies=the survival of the publishing industry.

9) Use lots and lots of Flowery Language: Because it’s all about the word count baby.  Believe it or not, you can waste time with this one because you’ll start being just surprised how many words there are for certain adjectives.  Thesauruses= a procrastinator’s best friend.

10) Beautiful Books: That are suppose to be break marker but instead another time waster.

Source: http://howdyyal.wordpress.com/2014/11/06/how-to-enjoy-failing-at-nanowrimo