HowdyYAL

Howdy YAL!

Plot Not So Much Character

Illusive - Emily Lloyd-Jones

Well, it is a lot like X-Men and Ocean’s Eleven at its bare bones.

Oh, the plot is good.  If you like action and reading about action this is your book.

Me though?

While I might like watching Bruce Willis blow up things on the big screen, it doesn’t really work so much in a book unless I feel the characters.  Because, hello, I don’t see the explosions And that was my problem with Illusive.

Character development is a huge deal for me.  I really can’t connect with a book unless I like some of its characters.  Or at least find something interesting about them.

Well, okay these characters seem interesting enough.  They are basically like X-Men.  Complete with a lead who’s suppose to be like Mystique.  But she’s not.

Well, obviously she’s not blue.

But she’s not a lot of things, like having a freaking personality. Or being remotely interesting.

I didn’t feel any sympathy for her, despite the fact that she was literally in a bad position.

That is sad.

But I didn’t hate her either.

That’s something.

Maybe it was how the book was written.  I’m not a huge fan of third, but I can understand when it is used properly.  And I do think that Lloyd-Jones was right in writing this in third, I just couldn’t connect at all.  And even though it probably wouldn’t have benefited the plot, maybe (just maybe) I could’ve connected to Ciere more.

The other point of view was even worse.  Daniel was more or less merely narrating so that the reader could know what the evil government was up too.

Necessary, but sort of pointless.

Despite the fact that I couldn’t connect to this class of X-Men it did have  wasn’t a terrible book.  As I said before, I enjoyed the plot and world building.  It was good I dare say.  But because I couldn’t connect with the characters, I lost interest.

And you’d think that would be hard to do.  With an X-Men like universe.

I mean, I don’t like some of the X-Men cast, but that doesn’t mean I gave up on the show.

Never mind, the show/comic had some characters I actually liked.

I didn’t like anyone here, except maybe the side characters and that was stretching it.

This also wasn’t exactly a shippy book.  Which I know some people are going to like.  Me myself, I love ships, but sometimes it is nice getting away from will so and so get together. However, I think this book was in definite need of something and maybe a ship or two was it.

I had Illusive on my shelf for awhile.  I like superheroes, and while there were aspects of this one that were done quite tastefully, the character development (or lack of it) sort of ruined the book for me.

Overall Rating: It was a DNF, but the part I read I’m giving it a C+.

Source: http://howdyyal.wordpress.com/2015/01/06/plot-not-character-illusive-emily-lloyd-jones