HowdyYAL

Howdy YAL!

I Still Don't Get This Cover

The Stars Never Rise - Rachel Vincent

This book reminds me that I really need to finish the Soul Screamers series because Rachel Vincent is pretty much amazing.

Though oddly, I forget about her stuff.

I think that sort of adds to the charm though, because it gives her stuff a dark horse feel.

This book has all the elements of being a dark horse.  It’s A) a paranormal and b) a dystopia.  Both of these genres have been overplayed in YA, yet Vincent makes this book feel fresh and original.

I think that’s because in part she avoids some of the faux pas that are so painfully familiar in these genre.

I have to totally tell you though, I sort of groaned when I read the whole emphasis on the green eyes thing in the blurb.  Because one thing that drives me crazy in YA is focusing on how painfully wonderful someone with blue and green eyes are (for some reason they always ignore brown-the closest I’ve seen is tawny).  However, the eye color thing sort of made sense once Vincent reveals the twist with the love interest.

And I actually liked this love interest.  That’s weird for me to say, especially in YA paranormal or even dystopia lit. But I actually liked Finn (despite horrible name). While he did sort of come off strong, it sort of made sense given the character.  It’s really hard not going into why this works without going into spoilers, but it worked.

I also liked Nina as the protagonist.  She’s not perfect, and everyone points out that she’s dumb.  But I don’t think she’s actually that dumb.  She’s a survivor and you can really tell that she took the role of big sister seriously. And tried to the best of her knowledge to make sure Mellie had the best possible life.

The action in this book is just awesome.  I loved how the paranormal effects the dystopian environment.  Sure, I’ve read books before that contain elements of different genres, but often they feel clunky.  This one didn’t feel clunky.  I was actually intrigued with what was going on too, which will have me reading the next one.

The thing is though, there are some flaws to this book.  Like I said the relationship really didn’t work for me until the twist.  Then I was able to over look some things, but I wonder if I should’ve felt that way or not.

Overall Rating: An A- I will be reading the next one.  And I really want to finish the Soul Screamers series now.  So, I think this says something about this one.

Source: http://howdyyal.wordpress.com/2015/06/25/still-dont-get-the-cover-the-stars-never-rise-by-rachel-vincent