HowdyYAL

Howdy YAL!

Belles

Belles - Jen Calonita Really should be 3.5 starsTo See Full Review Click Here: http://yalbookbriefs.blogspot.com/2012/05/belles-jen-calonita.htmlYou will either really like this book or really not like this book. The reason I say this is there are parts of this book that are rather cliche. In order to enjoy it, you just have to let it go. I did and found the book to be a delightful read while I sat in the cardiologist's office the other day. The book is pretty sweet. I actually liked it better then Calonita's other because it deals deal with some tough subject matters while Secrets of My Hollywood Life is pure fun. For the most part the characters in Belles are pretty well developed. Some of the supporting characters are a little one dimensional. But both the leads are fully developed. Best Feature: High Society: This book explores life of North Carolina's rich and fabulous. Meaning it makes for a pretty juicy read. Sort of like Desperate Housewives for the teen set except without poor dead Mary Alice and the rampant random neighborhood mysteries. Okay, so there are a couple of mysteries here. But at heart his book is about family. A very rich family.Worst Feature: Savannah: She's mean, she's evil. And honestly at times she felt a bit unrealistic because of her bitchiness. I like a good mean girl in a novel, but sometimes I want there to be little flashes that a human being might exist under that plastic facade. Savannah didn't have the flashes, Mira however did. So while I did have a problem with Savannah, I will commend Calonita for making Mira likable.Appropriateness: Clean as a whistle. After reading City of Lost Souls and all it's grittiness, Belles was refreshing and charming. There's nothing really inappropriate about this book. Middle graders could easily read it.