HowdyYAL

Howdy YAL!

Witches of East End (The Beauchamp Family, #1)

Witches of East End (The Beauchamp Family, #1) - Melissa de la Cruz To see full review click here: http://yalbookbriefs.blogspot.com/2012/03/witches-of-east-end-melissa-de-la-cruz.htmlHonestly, it really receives 3.5 stars.I was really hoping to like this book a lot more than I ended up liking it. I suppose I thought it was going to be like an adult Blue Bloods. But it wasn't. There was romance and magic in these books, but I couldn't connect to the characters like I could with Blue Bloods and there was no Jack Force either. Really, the closest character I could identify to was Ingrid, and I thought she was your archetypical librarian at times while her sister Freya was a little promiscuous (aka she cheats on her fiance). Okay, I could make an exception for Freya's infidelity if I understood her motives behind cheating on her fiance but there's no motive there. She just finds her fiance's brother hot before coming to this big revelation at the end of the novel. I really love Melissa's writing style, but these characters made getting into this book so infuriating. If I could look past the characters maybe I could've enjoyed the book better, but it just seemed that it took a long time for everything to get started. And it wasn't near as dramatic as it was made out to be.Best Feature: Norse Mythology: I liked the fact that de la Cruz decided to go with Norse mythology. While it sort of throw a wrench into what I thought the Blue Blood series mythology was, after going to a book signing where Melissa was present I sort of understand it better (i.e. she basically takes aspects from all the world's mythology in her series). I would've preferred some continuity with the overall series, but I really liked the use of Norse mythology. You hardly see stories that explore Norse myths and it was sort of cool really getting to learn about it.Worst Feature: Unlikeable Heroines: I'm going to be honest I didn't really like Freya or her mother for that matter. Ingrid had her moments, but I didn't really connect to them like I connected to the characters in Blue Bloods. The best character that was in this book was Mimi Force, who only had a cameo appearance. I was seriously hoping that I would grow to like one of the protagonists but each of them I couldn't connect to and for the most part I really didn't like. Take Joanna for example. She's an older protagonist and while I enjoyed that aspect, I just found her to be so boring. There was nothing about her that I could really relate to. And honestly, there were points she just seemed to be bitter. Appropriateness: This is definitely an adult book. There are plenty of violent situations and there's some sex scenes as well. But honestly, it's not that more graphic than your typical Blue Blood novel, so I would say sixteen and over should be able to enjoy these books.