HowdyYAL

Howdy YAL!

Boundless

Boundless - Cynthia Hand To see full review click here.Oh, boy.I don't know how to review this one. I have basically fan girled over books one and two, so I really was excited about this one and hoping it could get me out of a book funk. It didn't. In fact, I'm sort of depressed after reading it.Boundless isn't awful.It's not that bad really. But compared to the rest of the series, it sucked.I feel like a lot of my problems with the book were because of the ending. It just didn't make sense.Yes, if you're big for a certain team- a team I was fighting for- you'll be happy, but honestly this character has such a little role in the overall plot and the other love interest is developed even more I just want to call foul over it. And yeah, I wanted her to end up with the guy she ended up with when I started this book, but not this way. The relationship development just wasn't there guys. It really wasn't. Just like a lot of things weren't really there in this book.One of the things I enjoyed most about this series was that its mythology wasn't purely Christian rooted like some YA angel books are (cough, Halo, cough). And it didn't read like Christian lit either, until this book. You know, Christian lit is a fine and good thing if it's labeled as such but when you spend two books setting up a more secular world of angels, and then hammer heavily the fact that non-believers are even worse than evil people in this book.Ugh, book, ugh.And on that I'm going to have a bit of a rant. People naturally question their faith. Especially when their teens. Questioning is just a natural part of life. How can you believe something if you don't question it, study it? Heck, there are some people who end up questioning their faith become more devoted. Demonizing people who might question what they believe in is so dumb.Much like a teenage girl having a relationship with an angel that Clara deems as dumb because the angel (gasp, is questioning his faith). Not that, you know he's an angel. And, oh yeah, said teenage girl who's valedictorian of her class ends up knocked up. Seriously, I think someone as smart as Angela would've remembered to use a condom. And I also think she would've thought through her options instead of dropping out of school as soon as her baby daddy tells her he doesn't love her. I haven't seen this much best friend bashing since Heaven.Yeah, this book hit a lot of triggers for me.And oh yeah, the cliches. Magical tattoos are back people. Seriously, will this cliche just die already? Magical tattoos are neither cool or evil, they're just lame much like a lot of hipster tattoos I've seen recently when shopping in the village. I bet having a tattoo is considered almost mainstream now-honestly what is and what isn't mainstream gives me a headache but whatever.I think this is what bothered me about this book, it was mainstream. The Unearthly trilogy has always been a bit of a Twilight ripoff, but it did it in an awesome way a la the Lux story but minus the aliens and Daemon Black. And it worked brilliantly. The twist with the love interest in book one made me smile. The sorrow that Clara went through in the second book made Bella's moping session look trivial. Her relationship growth with Christian was also surprising too. Seriously, I didn't like this guy at the beginning of the series but at the end, I wanted Clara to be with him. They grew to be perfect for each other but...but...yeah, it didn't happen. And Christian just sort of faded into oblivion, I guess I should be glad he didn't fall in love with Sneezy (Nessie).Best Feature: Easy flow. I think I will probably always read Hand's books because her writing is so easy to read. And that's something you don't often see in YA. Even though Clara annoyed me throughout this installment (and believe me she annoyed me), the prose was beautiful.Worst Feature: Babies. Did I mention I hate babies in YA books? Or in NA books? Seriously. And I think it's the way the subject matter is treated. We never have any of these characters contemplate alternative choices. And no, I'm not just talking about abortion, I'm also talking about adoption. Neither of these options are ever mentioned in YA or NA. You get knocked up, you keep the baby. And somehow it turns out perfectly despite the fact that you're a teen mom with no source of income because of love. Oh, and your whole world becomes about that baby. Forget having any sort of career or dreams that don't involve changing diapers-just drop out of your Ivy League school because you gave birth and your boyfriend ditched you and....Yeah, not happy about that certain plot point. What I really don't get is why are these characters who become pregnant so intent with playing mommy? I get having a kid changes you, but at the same time to give up your dreams and find that being a mom is all you ever wanted in life...archaic much? And really who's going to be paying the bills when you play mommy. And why does the kid have act like a baby doll and not like a real baby? And why does it become the focal point of the story?Appropriateness: There's some teen drinking, pregnancy, and violence going in here. Though for a New Adult book there is a lack of sexy times. Unless you count the sexy times that Angela goes through off screen.