HowdyYAL

Howdy YAL!

My Double Life

My Double Life - Janette Rallison Really 3.5To see full review and trend spotlight analysis click here: http://yalbookbriefs.blogspot.com/2012/06/trend-spotlights-hooray-for-hollywood_10.htmlThis was a really cute book. It wasn't really a deep read so much as a fluff read, but I really enjoyed it. I think probably the biggest problem with it was the pacing. Certain parts of the novel seemed to be dragged out while other parts were fluffed over. I was really hoping that a certain plot point would've been revealed a lot earlier than it was, so that the aftermath would be explored more. However, despite the pacing I did enjoy the book. Alexia had a great voice, was a well rounded character, and I enjoyed how she grew as a character throughout the book. While the book has a light tone to it, it does actually explore a lot of issues and that's nice. It's honestly the best Rallison book I've read to date.Best Feature: Diversity: I loved the fact that Alexia was half Latina. In a genre that often feels like it lacks diversity, it was refreshing to have a character that was not Caucasian. Be that as it may, I sometimes got a little annoyed with Rallison's characterization of Alexia's culture. Take for instance, the use of Spanish in the novel. While I loved the fact that she included Spanish throughout the book, I got a little annoyed at times because I thought things were overly translated. For instance, Alexia tells the reader that grandmother means abuela. I honestly think that context clues could've shown what the translation meant, so it seemed a little bit heavy handed.Worst Feature: Pay off: Alexia's secret, which I won't divulge, isn't revealed to the last thirty or so pages of the book. I really wish the big reveal would've taken place earlier or at the very least relationships between certain characters would've been explored more.Appropriateness: This book is very sweet. There is hardly anything inappropriate in it. There is some talk about drug addiction in the book, but it is merely mentioned. Also, there is talk about gambling and bad credit card debt, but it is handled tactfully.