HowdyYAL

Howdy YAL!

Tender Triumph - Judith McNaught I really hated this book. I still remember how much I hated it almost ten years later. The hero is a misogynist pig who falls instantly in love with the heroine who has the IQ of a fruit fly and borderlines on being racist. The gist of the story is pretty simple. Ramon doesn't think he's good enough for her because he lost all his money (apparently he was once a rich business man in Puerto Rico but now he sells produce, don't worry he gets all his money in the end) goes to the states to get capital or something so he can make the big bucks again and falls in love with our dweeb heroine because she's hot (basically). She falls in love with him for the same reasons, though she constantly talks about how she can't love him because he's poor and shit. Then they get married and he drags her off back to Puerto Rico-a.k.a. Judith McNaught wanted to go to vacation there and got a tax write off much like she did with Every Breath You Take which takes place in Antigua. You'd think the relationship would develop some but with the heroine constantly putting down Ramon/making insensitive remarks and Ramon telling her she has to obey him because she's his now (seriously, girls if a guy tries to make you a possession run, run, away) the only decent part I remember is the description of Puerto Rico. I sort of wanted to go there after I read the book just because of the way the scenery was described and to punch these characters-you know, if they were real people. Note, this was written in the late 1970's early 1980's when douchey Alpha males reigned, so I guess it should've been expected. If you want a McNaught contemporary read Paradise and Perfect. While totally unrealistic and melodramatic they are actually interesting and the characters are complex.