HowdyYAL

Howdy YAL!

Perfect Scoundrels - Ally Carter To see full review click here.This was better than I expected it to be. And that my friends is always good. Or is it?I mean, maybe I shouldn't have had such low expectations when it came to this series, but I did which is weird because it's Ally freaking Carter.I was pleasantly surprised though and I actually sort of enjoyed this book more than I did the last Gallagher Girl book. I think because the book is different than a lot of stuff out there in the genre these days. Oh, sure there are spy/thief books everywhere in YA (in fact, I'm reading one now). And God knows there are tons of spy/thief shows out there that I watch ( That's what most of the scripted program I watch consist of spy and thief shows, and detective shows too. Oh, and General Hospital. How could I forget General Hospital? They're having this freaky plot line right now where Detective John McBain has this lookalike who's a vampire that reminds me of Meg Cabot's Insatiable and I digress...). And grant it, this wasn't the most original spy/thief story I've ever read, but it worked. And for that matter, it was different in the YA genre because it's plot involved corporate espionage. And fraudulent wills which actually helped me with my Wills homework oddly enough (unlike some YA books).And while I pretty much figured out the twist to the whole mystery plot before the big reveal, I have to admit it was fun to read. And I really felt like I grew to like the characters in this installment a lot better.That was probably my biggest problem with this series until up to now. The lack of character development. Don't get me wrong, I still prefer Cammie from Gallagher Girls over Kat any day of the week. But Kat has grown on me. And Hale he's pretty awesome too. In fact, I'd say I might like him better than Zach, he's definitely better than Josh (but then again, who isn't).I also liked the fact that this book primarily took place in New York. While I liked the globe trotting that went on in previous installments, it was nice to see the characters quasi grounded and in their "home" environment.Best Feature: Leverage: Reading one of these books always makes me feel like I'm watching a TV show (a.k.a. Leverage or White Collar). Grant it, the shows are better than the book, but Carter has improved. I enjoyed this installment a lot more than it's predecessor. It actually felt more like one of those TV shows and while that's normally not a good thing it works here. A lot better than it did in Uncommon Criminals. Worst Feature: Obvious Plot. The mystery is lame here, guys. It's basically told to us right away who's behind all of this hanky panky, but the motives and everything it just seems cliche. And so was the suspect, both suspects. I mean, really I thought this one character could have a potential future in the series. Guess they won't considering they're doing ten to twenty behind bars. Though who knows, maybe they'll pull a Neil Caffery or whatever.Appropriateness: Pretty clean. There is some violence. And while the romance is steamy, we never get past first base level.