HowdyYAL

Howdy YAL!

She Went All the Way - Meg Cabot To see full review click here: http://yalbookbriefs.blogspot.com/2012/12/she-went-all-way-meg-cabot.htmlI first read this book when I was like fourteen. And it was one of the first romance books I've ever read, so you could imagine how pink my cheeks went. However, eleven years later when I was reading this book my cheeks aren't turning pink. Instead, I was laughing so loud that my family was looking at me like a crazy person.I have to say this is the books strength, its use of tongue and cheek. If you're a writer, actor, or just a book or movie buff this is the book for you. And here's the think, one would think that ten years later some of the references would be outdated but surprisingly I found this book to be better the second time around. Maybe it's because I could relate more to Lou or the fact that I have TCM and all those movie channels and like Lou I have maybe skipped a class or two back in college because I wanted to watch that Carey Grant and Audrey Hepburn movie when he has all those different names and poor Audrey's dead husband was a criminal(Charade). think maybe the biggest reason why I liked this book better this time around is that I didn't take it so seriously. Cabot usually writes real light and fluffy books, but most of them have a semblance of reality hammered into them. This one doesn't lack reality per say, but it's much more satirical than some of her other books and I like that.I also like the romance in this one too. Okay, I did sort of thing it happened a little too fast-Lou and Jack going from enemies to lovers-but it's a romance novel so it works well enough. Plus, the banter that was going on between them was enough for me to forgive the fact that the romance happened over night.However, despite the fact that I liked this book, I can see why some people wouldn't like it. It can be a little much at times and while I sort of liked the tongue and cheek tone that this book has, not everyone is going to like it.Best Feature: Quirkiness: I just love how quirky this book is. I think that's the thing about it that I didn't "get" the first time I read it. I guess I have seen a lot more movies since I read this book or have been exposed to a lot more Cabot because I picked up on them this time and loved it. Worst Feature: Research: While I could tell that Cabot did some research, there were a few things that grated on my nerves like the handling of the plane crash. Maybe it's because I just got done with an Aviation Law Seminar, but the technical part of my brain kept shaking it's head. Appropriateness: This is an adult book. There is cussing. There is violence. And there is hot sex. So yeah, definietly not for young tweens or young teens.