HowdyYAL

Howdy YAL!

Obsidian - Jennifer L. Armentrout Really 3.5 stars. To see full review click here: http://yalbookbriefs.blogspot.com/2012/10/obsidian-jennifer-l-aremntrout.htmlOkay, this is a lot like Twilight I'll just say this right now and there. But it's like a revised version of Twilight like the Twilight the movie directors should've done. Here Bella Katy doesn't put up with shit. And for that matter, the plot is actually interesting.I'll admit it, I was a little skeptical of this book at first. A lot of my friends on Good Reads was talking about it and I just sort of shrugged it off as just being one of those books. But I decided to give it a chance anyway and I was pleasantly surprised.Okay, before I get to the good stuff I should first say this isn't the best book ever it does have it's flaws and it might not be for you (i.e. the book is extremely fluffy at times) but it is good mind candy and if you like bad boys you should like this book.I'll even admit that Daemon is a tolerable bad boy. And you know I've had my fair share issues with bad boys. I guess one of the reasons he's so tolerable is because of Katy. She is a no nonsense lead and doesn't put up with Daemon being an ass. If she was a pushover like Bella, Nora, Helen, and Bethany, or any other Bella variant then the book wouldn't be so enjoyable. Her telling Daemon that he was a jerk, not only gave her a backbone but it also played into the chemistry the couple shared. I enjoyed the fact that this couple had actual witty banter. In fact, the development between the relationship between these two characters was one of the things I enjoyed the most of this book.I also liked the fact that this book was about aliens. I'm a sucker for aliens. So usually any well crafted plot (i.e. anything not like Supergirl) I'll enjoy if it involves E.T. especially if it involves the Men in Black. And yeah, they sort of had just a cameo here but still. Men in Black.So kick ass heroine, witty romance, and men in black, why doesn't this book get a higher score...Well, there were a few things that bothered me.First and foremost, the damsel in distress thing. I get that realistically Katy was going to have to be rescued. But jeez, she was rescued one a little too many times. And then there were the situations that Katy had to be rescued from. Two of them involved violence against women. The first involved Katy being mugged in the woods. The next involved dating violence. Yes, there was dating violence in this book. And it essentially involved a character who was created mainly to act like a douche just to push the two main leads towards each other.Yeah, yeah, I know. That's very I don't know daytime television-ish. And I like daytime TV, but really this book was better than that. And it's a book. Books focus more on character development that daytime TV and I thought having a character appear out of the blue like that was a bit cringe worthy. Also, while I loved all the alien stuff, the world building was a bit clunky. I was able to forgive a lot of this though because I thought the world was just so interesting. Interesting but annoying. Best Feature: Book Blogger. I loved that Katy was a book blogger. This is so the way to target your market audience. Not only does it make Katy identifiable to bibliophiles, but she's a character with a hobby other than cooking for her parental unit. That in itself is always refreshing. Plus, she uses some of the memes that are so popular in the blogverse it was almost like reading an inside joke. Except, I'm not cool enough for inside jokes.Worst Feature: Damsel is Distress. For the most part Katy is pretty kick ass. But she has to be save not once, not twice, but three times by Daemon. This is very annoying though necessary (considering Katy is just a weak human), but God I wish she'd smarten up a bit. Carry a taser or something or at least look both ways across the street. I will admit though that's she's better than the average girl that needs rescuing. She at least tries to defends herself and somewhat succeeds.Appropriateness: There's some cursing, some dating violence, and sexual references. But other than that nothing too graphic.