HowdyYAL

Howdy YAL!

Girl Stays in the Picture - Melissa  de la Cruz To see full review including a special trend spotlight analysis click here: http://yalbookbriefs.blogspot.com/2012/06/trend-spotlights-hooray-for-hollywood_21.htmlReally on the fence about this one I think 3.75 stars would be appropriate. Be forewarned if you don't like light reads you'll probably not like this book.And okay, there is some substance to this book. There are little mysteries here and there, but the book in essence is about a summer in France. On a movie set, no less. But still, it's about living it up in France. Which I love, but others might not like.In typical de la Cruz style the novel revolves around three protagonists. I can't complain about any of them. Each of them were unique in their own way. Okay, so maybe I did want some more of Devon's backstory. But I thought...well, that's what sequels are for right? Well, yes but this book isn't going to have a sequel...it was but....it's complicated.As for the plot itself it's pretty simplistic. I often wonder if de la Cruz wrote this book in her sleep. Writing about glamorous people is obviously her forte. But Melissa is better than this book. If you've read her Blue Bloods books, you know that plotting is one of her specialties as well. And while there is a plot to this book, it's a bit of a snooze fest to the very end where things pick up.Best Feature: St. Tropez: Have I mentioned that I want to go to France? All kidding aside, I would've gone there to study abroad if it had been an opiton. It's essentially the perfect place to set a book, see Anna and the French Kiss. However, I have to say I am really happy that Melissa decided to set Girl in the Picture in St. Tropez rather than Paris. It sort of gave a different look at the country. And I will have to say with Melissa's writing I felt like I got to experience France when in fact I haven't.Worst Feature: Cliffhanger Ending: Usually I like cliffhangers, but in this book you're never going to find out what happens to these girls unless you read Melissa's FAQ's. The series got canceled because Melissa decided to focus her energies on other projects. And I guess I can appreciate that. I'd rather have one good book with an unresolved ending then a bunch of sequels that were quite shitty. But still, things were just starting to get juicy.....Appropriateness: There is some cursing in this book, teenage drinking and drug use are seen and discussed. Additionally there are some sex scenes and sexual related material that happens in this book. It's definitely not for younger teens.