HowdyYAL

Howdy YAL!

Goddess Interrupted - Aimee Carter I'm giving this book three stars (though it really should get like 2.5 stars).Sigh, this wasn't what I was expecting at all. I was hoping to love this book, the first one had such promise. It reminded me of Persephone with a Beauty and the Beast twist (and before you ask, Henry was not turned into some deformed monster), but I found myself shaking my head throughout a lot of its sequel. Most notably at Kate. I really liked Kate in the first book. She was selfless and not in a Pollyanna type way. Although, the romance between her and Henry was one of the primary plots in the first book, she had other interests and thoughts and friends. Her relationship with her dying mother was tearjerking. But in this book, Kate has turned into one of those girls. You know, who are obsessed with their instant love significant other and that there's nothing else important to them in her life. In fact, rather than being the least bit excited about meeting her long lost sister, she's only thinking about how Henry will react to seeing Persephone. And her thoughts of Persephone are a little less than sisterly. In addition to Kate's changing personality, there isn't much development with the other characters in the book. Henry in particular. We're told that he's some prize but in reality he's really just a big wimp. Seriously, he does freaking nothing but mope around throughout the entire book. I don't get it? Why do girls always go for emo guys like Henry? I get that having a guy who cries is an important thing, but when you're the freaking lord of the underworld you need to be bad ass.Best Feature: Cliffhanger: The only reason I'm reading the next one is the pretty jaw dropping cliffhanger at the end of this book. Carter can pull out the stops when need be which sort of makes me sad considering the rest of the book.Worst Feature: Pacing: There were many issues I had with this book, but I think the pacing was the biggest problem with it. For the most part in this book nothing happened. Relationships and events remained undeveloped and Kate did a lot of moping about Henry. But when action happened, it was over within a few sentences. A lot of it was in fact off screen. This makes for a very frustrated reader since it felt like (to me at least) there was no payoff till the very end of the book.To see full review which includes a casting section click here: http://yalbookbriefs.blogspot.com/Note, I received this book as an ARC from Net Galley this does not affect the review of this book in any way.