HowdyYAL

Howdy YAL!

It's Not Super But It Will Do

Burn Bright - Bethany Frenette

The Dark Star trilogy is one of those series I really like, but hate its marketing.

First of all, I think this series does deserve more marketing than its getting.  It has likable characters, a pretty good plot, and it doesn’t use tropes to that ridiculous point where you seemingly develop psychic powers when it comes to the storyline.

Me when I read predictable YA.

Seriously, after I read a few YA books I almost thought about starting my own version of Ms. Cleo.  Of course, since was accused of fraud, that probably wouldn’t be the best idea.

The fact is, Burn Bright and the rest of this series hasn’t been outright predictable.

And for the most part, it has been pretty enjoyable.  The thing about this series though, is the whole superhero marketing angle-not there.

And I’d really wish the publishers stopped trying to promote it as a superhero book.

Yes, Audrey’s mom uses a superhero identity as her cover, but that’s pretty much it when it comes to her being a superhero.  All other aspects to that sort of culture cease to exist.

In other words, this book is more or less a YA paranormal about demons.

Which I like, but you wouldn’t realize that if you read the jacket copy.

I really hate that they did this because it totally distract my thoughts about the rest of the book which is actually pretty kick ass.

I really did like this one.  Besides, not being an outright walking cliche, Frenette has done a nice job developing the characters in this novel.  I especially like the fact that Audrey’s mother is more than just your standard YA ESPN watching parent.  She actually does stuff and not in a typical cliche and cheesy YA parent type of way.

I also liked how this book didn’t center around the romance.   Sure,  Leon and Audrey were together, but they weren’t stupid YA in love.  They still had their own lives and they didn’t go around calling each other schmoopy.

While it wasn’t a superhero story, the book actually is still action packed.  And I like how you could pick up the story without remembering every single detail of the previous installment.  And I have to like the fact that Audrey isn’t physically strong and has to rely on others.  She actually acknowledges her weakness.

That’s a character I can handle.

Unlike a lot of these other YA bimbos who act like their bad ass but the end of the day need their ass saved (Bella Swan I’m talking about you).

Burn Bright  is refreshing.  However, it is not memorable.  I know that sounds odd.  That I liked a book, but I don’t think I’ll remember it two weeks for now.  I really don’t know why this series isn’t something that sticks to me.  Maybe because the story that it’s trying to tell is pretty standard YA, at least on the service.

Yeah, I know I’m sort of contradicting myself and let me explain myself.  While the book is good at refraining from certain annoying YA tropes, the actual plot isn’t that off the beaten path from the type demon oriented YA plot.  Though I have to admit, it’s way better than a lot of books that share similar themes (cough, The never ending Shadow Hunter series, cough).

I will be finishing this series, but it’s just one of those series I like but don’t love.  It’s written well and for what it is, its enjoyable.  But when you compare it to everything else in the market, it’s just sort of there.