HowdyYAL

Howdy YAL!

You're Dating Yourself

Will The Real Abi Saunders Please Stand Up? - Sara Hantz

I like fluff.

I like books about celebrities.

And if the book has a girl that can kick box, even better.

Except the book wasn’t better.

To be honest, this was a pretty awful contemporary.  And I’m just sort of perplexed about how it got published because there’s nothing that original about it.

In fact, the only remotely original thing about it is the kick boxing. And therenot that much in this book.

Sigh…I guess I need to stop my complaining and get on with the reviewing.

First let’s talk about the cover and the title.  The title is a play on an old Enimem song that was popular about fourteen years ago.  It’s outdated.  I get that a lot of people my age will recognize it, but the targeted market group-not so much.

Then there’s the cover.  It looks pretty awful.  The poor model’s hair looks pretty messy for a professional shoot and then there’s the get up she’s wearing.

Seriously.

I know that most people wouldn’t be caught dead in such garb.  It looks uncomfortable.

Yes, I know these are superficial things I’m claiming about.  But presentation will have some effect of how I view this book.  And it’s not good.

Now for the actual contents.

Maybe it will wow me like Pushing the Limits or Dare You To, those books had covers you couldn’t take out in public but the story was juicy enough to keep me entertained.

This one though, as I said before total snore fest.

Nothing remotely original about it.  At all.

I was psychic when it came to this book.  I guessed its every twist.  And when it comes to reading that usually isn’t a good thing.

Well, it’s okay when you have decent characters.

But Abi…I wanted to deck her through about half of this book.

I should like her.  I really should.  She’s a character who doesn’t have a stereotypical female hobby and has a disability (she stutters).  That should be enough to make her a somewhat interesting character, but it’s not.  Because she has the maturity of an eleven year-old and thinks its perfectly fine to cheat on another girl’s boyfriend because said girl is mean.

I’m not lying.  That’s how she justifies her actions.  And I guess you could say she learned her lesson at the end but she really didn’t.

Then there’s the other characters.  Yeah, they had a right to be pissed at Abi, but their not pissed at her for the right reasons.  It comes off freaking ridiculous to the point where I thought DNF only a two hundred and thirty page book.

Two hundred and thirty pages.

Put this in perspective The Tiger Curse Saga’s books average about five hundred pages.  I could put up with that more than this.  Grant it, the booze might’ve helped.

I think what infuriates me more than anything else was that this book felt like the author wasn’t even trying.  Which I’m sure probably wasn’t the case.  But there just seemed like no effort towards creativity and with a MC as annoying as Abi I needed something.

Anything.

But nope.

Instead, all I got was a book where I was informed the love interest looked like a hotter younger brother of Henry Cavill.

Not joking about that.

Once again, Hantz you’re dating yourself.

Even Meg Cabot who uses pop culture references probably the best out of any other author out there, doesn’t make her books sound so dated.  This book sounded dated though and it’s only been out for a couple of months.

Seriously though, Entangled, you should’ve said something about that title.

Overall Rating: A big fat F.  No originality.  Unlikeable characters.  What do you expect?

Source: http://howdyyal.wordpress.com/2014/07/05/the-outdated-pop-culture-reference-shouldve-been-a-clue-will-the-real-abi-saunders-please-stand-up-by-sara-hantz